Choi Tae Kwon Do children’s classes emphasize fun with a purpose. For children ages 6 through 12.
Children’s classes are offered Tuesday and Thursday from 6:00 – 7:00 PM, and Saturday from 11:00 – Noon.
Classes are held at Hybrid Martial Arts & Fitness, 3354 N Elston Ave., Chicago, IL 60618 on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday evenings from 6:00 – 7:30 PM.
A typical class includes the following:
- Warm-up and stretch
- Punching, kicking and blocking drills
- Forms (Hyungs) practice
- Sparring and/or self-defense
Every instructor decides the specific curriculum, and it changes for every class.
Our goal is to help each child develop:
Have you noticed the theme? Tae Kwon Do develops SELF!
Every Tae Kwon Do class, but especially children’s classes, stresses the Tenets of Tae Kwon Do.
- Indomitable Spirit
While we do not spend a great deal of time talking about the philosophy of Tae Kwon Do in children’s classes, we do emphasize its ethics, and the core values that help young people to do their best.
What we always strive to do:
- Recognize that each student is an individual and provide individual attention to each student.
- Set standards and benchmarks that are hard, but not impossible, to reach.
- Maintain a challenging curriculum.
- Provide private lessons and other alternative settings for students when appropriate.
- Maintain proper student behavior in class, explaining and encouraging self discipline.
- Insist that students never use the skills they learn outside of class, unless they are defending themselves and have run out of other options.
- Make sure all our students have a safe environment at our school.
- Recognize and reward students for true achievement.
- Always communicate with parents as much as possible.
What we don’t do:
- Treat some students as if they are unable to learn the skills of Tae Kwon Do.
- Promote students based on reasons other than the specific requirements for their belt level as described in the Student Guide.
- Pass out meaningless stripes, patches or other rewards for just showing up.
- Push students in to special school teams or clubs, at a significant extra cost, in order to receive the training that they should get through normal tuition and classes.
Choi Tae Kwon Do may not be for every child. If you and your child are seeking just a recreational outlet to burn off excess energy and have fun, there are plenty of other schools that can do that. We do play games in the children’s classes and keep the atmosphere as light as possible, but they are classes, and education is our priority. If you want your child to have an enjoyable and enriching experience that will help him or her overcome obstacles in life, then Choi Tae Kwon Do would be a very good choice.
If you’re in the Chicago area, call Edward today, 708-524-2792, or come visit a class!